Our History
Downtown Beginnings (1881)
First Presbyterian Church was originally located at the southwest corner of Jefferson Street and Franklin Street. A new church building was constructed there in 1881 to serve a growing congregation in the heart of Valparaiso. The downtown structure was later razed, and the site eventually became a parking lot.
Earlier Roots and a First School (1837–1916)
The church site had an even earlier history. It was once the home of Dr. Seneca Ball, who in 1837 built a small schoolhouse behind his residence, the first in Center Township. Miss Eldred, sister of Mrs. Phebe (Eldred) Starr, was the first teacher, followed by Harry E. Ball and Sylvester W. Smith. After the building ceased to be used for school, Dr. Ball used it for wood storage. In 1916, during Indiana’s centennial year, the Porter County Historical Society installed a marker on the northwest corner of the church property to commemorate the township’s first school. The marker was dedicated on September 27, 1916.
A New Home on Valparaiso Street (1973–Present)
In 1973 we built on our new location at 3401 N. Valparaiso Street. Since then we have had numerous renovations to accommodate our growing congregation.
